Search the War Service Reports by Person
This database hold entries for men and women who served in the World Wars of the 20th C and other conflicts.
Where it has been established that the person died, or was killed by enemy action, then the name is marked by the poppy symbol .
Within the database are entries for men and women who served with the Voluntary Aid Detachment at one or more of the Isle of Wight hospitals which were established to care for returning wounded servicemen. They can be identified by the Red Cross symbol of the British Red Cross Society. Many of these VAD personnel were Islanders, but a fair proportion were not, but have been included for completeness. In many cases, our volunteers have compiled biographical details which are found in PDF files which can be viewed separately.
Hospital Profiles can be found in these PDF documents:
- Afton Lodge, Freshwater [AFTON]
- The Castle, Ryde [CASTLE]
- Hazelwood, Ryde [HAZELWOOD]
- Newport Auxiliary Hospital [NEWPORT]
- Northwood House Hospital, Cowes [NORTHWOOD]
- Parkhurst Military Hospital [PARKHURST]
- Seely Red Cross Hospital, Gatcombe [SEELEY]
- Underwath, St Lawrence [UNDERWATH]
Please enter a Surname. The wildcard character % may be used anywhere within the search field. Entering a name e.g. Smith, will extract all names starting with Smith i.e. Smith, Smithson etc.